This is the second part of my series, 1980’s The Good The Bad and The Ugly part two, the BAD. If you missed them, you can catch the GOOD published in March and the UGLY published in May Remember, these are just my opinion, even though it is the only opinion that really matters! If you don’t agree, please send me your thoughts, I will give you equal time! Here are some of the things that I felt were Bad about the 80’s! And when I say bad, I don’t mean good!
- Saturday Morning Cartoons – It was bogus that we had to wait a whole week to watch our fave cartoon’s next episode. Unfortunately, cartoons were only on TV on Saturday mornings or you could occasionally catch the premier lunch episode of Spiderman or Flintstones!
- Phones – You had to come from a very fortunate home to have your own phone as a kid. Most families shared a single phone, that was kept in a public area of the house. If you were lucky, the cord would be long enough that it would allow you to go around the corner or into a closet for a little privacy.
- Parachute Pants – Looked good on very few….actually no, they looked good on no one. Except on me, they were fly!
- Video Stores – If you wanted to watch a movie that wasn’t on TV or at the theater, you would have to go to a video store to rent a movie on VHS. Many times the longest part of the movie experience was wondering around the store trying to choose a movie, only to find out that it was not in stock. Pay to rent, pay for late fees, pay if you didn’t rewind…heinous!
- New Coke – the biggest marketing hoax of all time! But that is another story.
- Music – Some of the best music came out of the 80’s, but here are a few that are a pass and make the BAD list!
- Was Not Was
- Glass Tiger
- New Kids on the Block
- Duran Duran
- Platinum Blonde
- Kim Mitchell
- Hall & Oates